This is a blog created by Joseph Fight about Identifying Internet Users

Friday, September 08, 2006

First Posting

Hi everyone! My name is Joey Fight and welcome to my blog. I am a senior marketing and management major at the University of Delaware, and I am creating this blog as part of a class assignment for Information Technology Applications in Marketing. The theme of this blog is identifying internet users. I will be commenting on articles that focus on internet enterprises, consumer internet users, and what users are doing online. I hope you all find this blog informative and helpful in understanding more about users of the internet!

My first article was found in the New York Times and is entitled, "Facebook Feature Draws Privacy Concerns". Users of the popular high school and college website, Facebook, have been complaining about the recent changes the site has made to user’s homepages. Facebook, in an effort to save their users’ time perusing their friend’s profiles, began a news feed where each user’s homepage is automatically updated with changes in their friend’s personal profiles. This new feature does not reveal any new information that would otherwise be considered private, however it does inform people of the slightest changes to others profiles. Users are now complaining that information about themselves, which was once only available on their personal profile pages, is now appearing in a wider public setting for all to see. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, maintains that the intention of the news feed was to simply provide users with interesting information about their friends in a much more efficient fashion than before. However, he says that new privacy options are currently in the works and will be incorporated into Facebook for users who would like their information restricted to their profile. These new privacy options will include safeguards which will allow users to hide entire categories from the news feed feature; categories such as which online groups they belong to or classes they are currently taking.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Arnold said...

Joey, great article! I’m not a regular Facebook fanatic who compulsively checks my profile or my friend’s profiles. So, when the new Facebook makeover appeared I was unaware. It was only until I checked my email, noticing that my inbox was flooded with requests to join Facebook groups boycotting the new features, that I knew there was a new Facebook interface design. And I agree with most of those Facebook users that wanted to boycott the site. The new features are over-the-top ridiculous. Facebooks’ feeble attempt at making the lives of college students easier has opened the doors to issues regarding privacy invasion (something the site once prided themselves on). What’s next? A red flag indicating when I’m using the restroom? What were they thinking?

Regards,
Michael

9:55 PM

 
Blogger . said...

I remember when facebook first implemented this option and I thought it was annoying. The homepage of the facebook screen, after I logged in, was flooded with all these random pieces of information which I could really care less about. If I wanted to know what it showed then I would visit the persons profile on my own. Also, the fact that the slightest change to my profile was broadcasted all over every one of my friends was kinda disturbing. I did not feel it necessary for everyone to know that I added a new friend or that I am attending some party. If anything it was very creepy to me because there are some people who I would not like to advertise everything to. Eventually there was a privacy option put into effect and I personally took advantage of it. This way, I do not have to have my information fed to everyone of my friends and also I do not have to see a huge list of everyones changes that they have made to thier profile. My final opinion on the situation is that facebook sucks. If you want to use a person to person social site then get MYSPACE. It has a much better interface with better details and has a population that towers over what facebook has. Facebook is just a rip-off of myspace anyway and I hope eventually it gets shut down.

6:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home